
One of my favorite things about being a mother is sharing stories of my youth, and relating to my children. Often, I try to go beyond "no", and explain why. And when they don't get it, I explain being taught the same thing by Babbette (my mom), and Bear and Lambie nod their heads in sympathy.
Surprising to us, our lengthy, vacant flower bed (have I mentioned I don't like gardening?) near our front door, became the nesting ground for a perfect, single, red tulip. Lambie insists that she planted it for me, with an acorn. (Hazelnut) I assured her that Oak trees grow from acorns, and I didn't want to tell her it was actually a Hazelnut... The Captain assures me that he didn't think to plant it for me, although it would have been in his best interest to take credit. Bear just tries to not step on it, as it cranes for sunlight.
I caught Lambie, one afternoon, trying to peel back the petals, prematurely, which she got gently scolded for. Since a simple "It will harm the flower" didn't work, I told a brief story from my youth.
The humble flowerbeds of my youth contained bleeding hearts. My adventurous, exploratory sisters had discovered that when you pinch a not-yet-blooomed bleeding heart, it makes a delightful popping noise, and a single drop of water would fall out. My mom gently, but firmly explained that the flower needed that drop of water. It needed to remain sealed, until IT was ready to bloom. I told my kids that I would watch bleeding hearts, and it would take all of my control to not pinch and pop them open.Over the years of having a boy who builds intricate designs and contraptions with Lego's, which is apparently his gift of Asperger's, I have been the recipient of small Lego gifts. When Bear was 5, after seeing the movie Wall-E, he made me a 1 inch tall Wall-E, with eyes that moved like Wall-E's. The next year I was given a small Mt Mazama that erupted into Crater Lake. For Mother's Day he begs to buy me Lego's, and everyone for any celebration, he feels should receive Lego's. The other day I was given a bleeding heart flower.
What I discovered, when I was handed this treasure, at 6am, was that all of these years, Bear has been giving me tokens of things I've expressed joy from. He has put his heart and soul into these creations, focusing on the detail much more than his regular creations. I realized that this is how my boy, who doesn't seek after affection, shares love. He was telling me he loved me by giving me flowers.
And as I pinched the bottom of this beautiful creation, it made a little pop, and a single drop of "water" fell out.

The greatest treasure was discovering that he was telling me he loves me.
You are a great mother. Keep doing what you're doing.
ReplyDeleteThat's so awesome. It is wonderful when our children teach us things. I'm so grateful that I can still learn.
ReplyDeleteHe loves you so much--it's beautiful.
ReplyDeleteOkay, so it *might* be because it's after midnight, but I think it's really because this is just beautiful. Anyway, I'm misty-eyed. I love to watch you count your blessings.
ReplyDelete