The kids and I went to the Canyon to return outgrown baby goods to NM, where it was snowing, pick up my long lost patio set from Bear and Lambie's father's house (with his permission of course. What kind of girl do you take me for?), and visit my dear friend AMc, and her lovely gaggle of girls, E,R,S,and MG. And of course my friend SW and her little lady, C.
AMc lives on her little "farm". The thought of it intrigues The Captain because he's such a city boy. Whenever I go to AMc's home, in the booming metropolis (haha) of Scio, I think of City Mouse, Country Mouse... and then remind myself that neither of us turns our nose up at the other when we visit. Our visits are always so comfy.
I discovered today I get all of the benefits of a farm, without ANY work. (Sorry AMc!) Today I got to confront my fear and pet a goat. *faint* It was kind of anxiety inducing, but I did it, and it just stood there. I wanted to keep petting it, but I didn't want it to turn on me. I got to hold a baby chick, which was deeeevine. I got to pet a sheep. And I got four bags of Romney wool, because I (the City Mouse) am going to learn to spin wool! And I returned home with a dozen brown eggs, which should concern The Captain plenty.
The conversation was awesome, the friends were classic... Bear declared his love for R (to me, in secret) and his desire to outsmart her as they played and raced through the yard. And Lambie was so comfortable, as usual, blending in with the rest of the ladies wearing fairy wings and a flower circlet on her head. I love the opportunity to play and play hard, for my kids. I love that they get to see animals up close, so they are not tentative or afraid. I love that they don't mind getting dirty. I love that sometimes our socks get left there, or that we might come home wearing someone else's socks - it's that comfortable. ...I do mind that afterward I get a wee bit of chastisement that our back yard is smaller than AMc's deck... and that we don't have a tree to do our homework in, like E has... But it is always a good day. A wonderful day. And I always want to go back. I always feel welcome.
I hope my Country Mouse friend always does too, at my home. We live in different worlds, but the drive never seems long, and the visits are always warm.
So sweet. I can understand wishing for a tree to do homework in. I mean, seriously. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad my parents are "country mice," and my kids get the space to run around and eat straight from the garden when we visit. Though they've been hinting at possibly becoming "city mice" in a few years. I've even heard the possibility of WV suggested, though I'm skeptical they'd find an affordable place with a big enough yard to suit their gardening needs.
I know, a tree for homework sounds heavenly.
ReplyDeleteI love that your parents are "country mice"! How delightful!
You never know what they'll find. Remember the Haugh's? They have ample gardens in Morey's.