I'm very proud of today's picture. hee hee. There is a story to go with it, but first, I would like you to take a moment for a sweet little chuckle...After Tuesday's challenging run, I talked with The Captain about what I should do for today's run, children-wise. It turned out the only time I could go was in the heat of the day. Now given our locale, I *know* the heat of the day is some people's lows, but it's still hot for me. Plus, I never do well with evening runs.
I made dinner, but didn't eat it. It was great for my family to do something while I ran. I ate afterward.
I made sure my laces were nice and loose today, and during the warm up, I worried that my shoe was actually too loose, and would slip around on my foot. haha. I coped.
As I ran down the street I always run down, there were people out, more than normal. They were riding bikes, gardening, washing cars, watering their lawns, etc. Each one of them waved, and it was a great feeling. Entering the park, there were the usual baseball players, and some soccer players. Oh, and some shirtless volleyball players, but frankly, I was too focused on not dying while I ran to care. The Captain is a lucky man to be married to a girl with tunnel vision. ;)
I ran the first run, and the second, without a hitch. During each of the three loops (THREE LOOPS!!) around the park, I ran by two separate ladies who were dressed to the nines in jogging gear, with their hair styled in bouffants (both of them. not kidding.) with tendrils (to exhibit potential exhaustion?) gracing their cheekbones. Both of them, individually walked very slowly, and while I could be critical, at least they were moving! Good for them! But I must confess, it was good for a smile. Real running isn't pretty. At least on me.
At the end of the third run it happened again. My foot went numb. This time, my foot only went numb, and not the rest of my leg. That was a relief. However, knowing that it wasn't my laces, I am sure bothered by this. Especially being doctorless and insurance-less. hmmm...
I continued to run, not wanting a repeat of Tuesday. It was strange not feeling my foot. Instead of the impact on the ground, it felt like *thud thud thud* with each running step. I made it the third loop around, and got a high five from a fella driving his boat out. It was fun. And motivating to keep running!
I did take two unscheduled walks, and I timed them. One in the 3rd run for one and a half minutes(when I realized my foot was numb, and was deciding what to do), and one for about 45 seconds in run 4.
Oddly, toward the end of my run, I couldn't believe two things: How long it felt and that I did it!
Over the course of the run, the numbness went up into my shin, and then back down to my foot, and finally nearly gone, by the time I went home. I confess I was proud of myself for continuing, and hope I didn't make myself worse.
I enjoyed today, primarily because it was a trip to be running so much farther than last week, but also because of the people watching. My imaginary audience was good to me today.
I can't wait to go out on Saturday. I want to see if I can do it, with no walk breaks! And preferably, no weird foot issue...
That's a great run, but be careful. Don't push it if it leads to injury. But great job.
ReplyDeleteI had a numbing feeling like that a few months ago but I'd get it while standing in the kitchen. I came to find out it was because my body wasn't properly aligned (I had one hip higher than the other) and my heel bone had slipped off its position. Those things made it so pressure was put on my foot and leg nerves and would numb them. You just need to go to a good physical therapyst and get your body back in place. I know a really good one whenever you get insurance.
ReplyDeleteGreat to see you've set yourself the challenge of the B2:10k - You will do just fine. As I did both C35k and B2:10k on a treadmill you're at least one step ahead of me! I just started 13.1 Week 2 day 1. It's strange to be jogging such short intervals - but good because I've only just taken my running outdoors. I do love the quote "Real running isn't pretty. At least on me." Ohhh I know that feeling! Today I thought I was going to melt into a puddle! Looking forward to reading more of your journey. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteNetty