Okay, it's not really an "ode", but it sounds good.
I set my alarm to get up early, knowing that our temps were supposed to be up to 100, or at least high 90's today. I slept in instead. I was having a gripping dream about thermally unstable hot springs. I know.
By the time I set out for my run, it was 58. Jeff Galloway has said that once you run in over 60 degree temps, your core heats up faster. I think I believe him. Within 15 minutes it was 62. By the end of my run it was 68. But let me tell you about my run.
I actually started out pretty nervous. My last run didn't go well, and I had my self-doubts. I really wanted to make this work. I actually left my home feeling dehydrated, so drank a little, but didn't want to be sloshy. I started running like normal, all was well. Then I entered the park.
It was like hitting a brick wall.
There were HUNDREDS of people. I had gotten used to my quiet Saturday mornings in the park. I would wave at my "usual" park maintenance guy. By the third lap, The Captain's church tennis friends start playing and I wave at them. Sometimes you get the weekend warrior doing a quick trial run through the park, and that's it. It's so lovely, and peaceful.
There were people EVERYWHERE. And it was still pretty early in the day! There were 3-5 kids soccer games being played. It was incredible. For every child playing, there were 1-5 other people watching them. I ran my first lap (of the projected four) dodging, literally, cars that were trying to drive up the trail. I actually noticed people watching me. Like really, really turn their heads and look watching me. I pressed on. After one lap, I was very dehydrated (note, temp check). There was a drinking fountain just off the trail, so I tried to hydrate the best I could without losing time. And hopped back on the path.
Again, I dodged cars, trucks, people walking laps who possibly don't know courtesy of moving to a side of the trail (I sincerely don't mean to sound bitter - it was like the Twilight Zone. I was invisible. -except to the staring onlookers.). Twice I had to literally stop and wait for full sized SUV's to do a three-point turn. Is there not a way for them to just pause and let me run by??? So strange. This is how soccer moms get their reputation, I'm afraid. Sigh... Although many of my friends are soccer moms and quite lovely people... It was a fight trying to run like a "normal person", but I was willing to give it a go.
I completed lap two, started on the third, ahead of schedule and saw stars. I pondered whether these were dehydration stars or an anxiety attack from being around hundreds of people, stars.
Dehydration.
I walked home. I was pleased that I went 2.25 miles in my time. I believe, had I continued on pace, despite the ridiculous increase in temperature, I may have made at least 4.5 miles. I wish it were more, but it was okay considering.
Monday I will run 5.2 again, with a lot less people, and a lot less heat. And I will hope beyond hope that it's a good run. I need a good run.
And to the soccer moms reading this: I envy you... I have one child not coordinated enough to play, and the one who is coordinated enough is not interested. It looked like a lot of fun out there.
After all, I've always wanted to make someone a human speed bump. *snicker* Okay, just kidding.
Game on.

Sorry about the rough run. Glad to know you can keep your sense of humor, though.
ReplyDelete