stat counter

Monday, March 28, 2011

What I Learned From Our Family Trip to Disneyland Day 4

I learned that the changes made to Sleeping Beauty's Castle are pretty awesome! I was glad to be able to have it working this time, as opposed to when I went five years prior.

But before I get too carried away...









I learned that this simple, poorly taken photo is my favorite from the trip. Without prompting, Lambie spun her way to the elevator, and Peach crawled along, out the hotel room door, following her brother and sister, as though she knew she was on her way to the Happiest Place on Earth.






I learned that 3 day unlimited ART bus passes are very very affordable, and awesome, even if the Anaheim Portofino, or your hotel of choice, is within walking distance. I learned that palm trees turn black when they're saturated with water the night before, and feel spongy.






I learned that I'm really very very excited for CarsLand to open! And that this is what makes it okay to not be here every day, but to return after a few years. At least that's I keep telling myself.





I learned that the restroom sign at Adventureland pretty much rocks. I learned that there are child sinks, now!










I learned that you can fall in love with your family over and over again. I learned that older kids have minds of their own, and that my kids are quite well behaved.









I learned that every one deserves a turn.









I learned that there are cute restroom signs everywhere!




I learned that rain can start fast and furious. I learned that I should've listened to my friend A, and brought dollar store ponchos. I learned that when the forecast calls for rain, on a sunny day, it means it. I learned that even if two adults from Oregon can deal with the rain, that does not mean their three children can. I learned that it costs $36 to get ponchos for a family of 5. I learned that the people behind me in line got to pay that twice, because they bought some the night before, and left them in their hotel. I learned that by the time you get to your hotel, it can be sunny again. I learned it's not so bad to eat lunch at the hotel, and regroup. I learned that it's awesome to return after a rainstorm because it cuts crowds and lines in half!




I learned to take pictures of everything...










...because you never know when it will change. Am I crazy to miss those ladies who could sew your name with a sewing machine? Ugh. I made my kids get "standard script" on their customizable ears.







I learned the Mad Hatter is REALLY REALLY funny! And, we all apparently leeeeaaaaan in pictures.









I learned the tuba is lined with a glittered enamel. How cool is that? Magic everywhere...







I learned that Aladdin and Jasmine smile through their obvious exhaustion.








I learned that the Haunted Mansion line moves a ton faster than it ever did before, and that Astro Blasters' line moves so quickly, that they don't do fast passes anymore. Well done Disneyland!






I/We learned that if you climb the honey pots, which are SO climbable, you will get in trouble, because you will accidentally be part of the backdrop for someone else's much desired photograph with Pooh. Sorryboutthat.







I learned, by Lambie's report, that Eeyore really does have a nail in his tail.










I learned that the eating area in Critter Country is sadly overpriced for the lack of food. However, I believe it's the only place to get sweet potato fries.


I learned that even if the dominant Billy Hill changes, and the script is totally different, the Billy Hill and the Hillbillies jokes are still side-splittingly funny, and the talent immeasurable. Once again, I laughed harder than I had in maybe my whole life. Thank you Billy Hill, and Billy, and Billy, and Billy...





I learned that sometimes, when you think she's pretending, she's not. And you really, genuinely, can't wake her up.






Which calls for some nice one on one time with Bear, going for a walk.









I learned that Baby Swap is amazing. If you want to know more, ask me. I learned that Bear believes this to be the "real" eye (or whatever) that was the focal (no pun intended) point of the Indiana Jones ride.







I learned that The Plaza Inn (where the character breakfast is) has great dinner, with generous portions, for an average Disney price. Which I think translates into: You get what you pay for! Yay! I learned that it's fun to visit with the people next to you.

I learned that Disney signs are too cool for words.











I learned that Bear would like to be in this position for every line.







I learned that World of Color's general admission area is about 10 feet deep, but 15 feet long. This is not an exaggeration. You need a fastpass. Let me rephrase.... YOU NEED A FASTPASS. I understand there are different ways of accomplishing this: 1) Picnics - reviews have taught me that they are sample sized and cost a fortune. aka Not worth it. 2) Ariel's Grotto dinner- after eating a character breakfast (see later date) I believe this would be worth it, however you have to book early. 3) Haul buns over to California Adventure at opening (10am, but rumor says it opens sometimes as early as 9:30), go to the FastPass kioskythingy for Grizzly River Run, you will get a fast pass for one of a couple seating areas. This will ensure your seating (standing) in an area with a view. Reviews have said some are better, some are worse, stand near the fire hydrant, fake an injury... The Captain and I stood in different spots (we are stubborn, neither wanted to budge) and saw it all fine in the Blue section. Even Bear, who is significantly shorter than I am.


Since General Admission was pathetic, we headed over to Turtle Talk with Crush...

...Which totally rocked, Dude! It was awesome. As you can see, there were hardly any kids (yay for World of Color taking them all!), so Lambie got some major chatting time with Crush, who later wanted to talk to me. I loved it. Every word. It was a nice surprise. Being kind of shy, I rarely...no, never... get picked from a crowd. It was pretty cool, and a great way to end the day.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete