stat counter

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Karate Chop Action! or Workout 14 of 24 for May

Before we were of employable age, my dad had all of his six children own and work paper routes. I'm not sure if any of us has anything good to say about them. They just were... At any rate, one of the things that occurred as Spring turned into Summer, was the influx of spiders. Long before Buzz Lightyear, we developed this method of walking, the person taking a turn in front, performing "karate chop action!" to attack spiderwebs before they attacked us.

There was a point along my run, as I went face first into a web, wondering if I now had a spider in my hair or facial orifices, that I remembered the arm sweep, and realized that it was spider season...

Speaking of bugs...

I was increasing my run to the week 3 day 1 run of Couch to 5K today. Knowing I would spend half the day avoiding it, I decided I had to wake up and get ready ASAP. When I was all ready to go, and waiting for the school bus for Bear and Lambie, I started to get butterflies in my stomach. Seriously. I was so nervous I wouldn't do the run well. I was nervous that it would be impossible. That it would be too hard.

What I discovered was that it seemed to go by so much faster! In a good way! Run 3.1 is 2 minutes shorter than the previous runs, but you run longer. It literally felt about 10 minutes shorter. There are four running segments. Two short (the level I did for week 2), and two long. During the two long segments, I walked for about 15 seconds of the first one, and 10 seconds of the second. My shins were killing me at the end of it all, and the stretch was welcome.

It WAS harder. It was intense doubling some of the runs, but after this run, I realized I can probably do this 100% Friday, and that's a great feeling!

I have developed new-found skills such as getting a stroller up on a curb while running, drinking water while running, ducking under unpruned trees while running, skirting cars backing into me while running, and new, karate chop action! I wish I could put it on my resume... This is one of the hardest things I've done.

1 comment:

  1. Great job. I just hate the spider webs. They give me the willies. Today I went 1 1/2 miles and did 20 pushups and situps again with 40 squats.

    ReplyDelete