Today I ran. It was week 3 day 3 of Couch to 5K. For me, this was make it or break it day, since my "time was up". However, I know I could have done the day over and over again. I just didn't want to.
Both of my jogging jackets were in the washing machine, so I wore my windbreaker. It did the trick, including holding the iPod, but in no way did it wick away moisture. haha. At least I know it'll work in a pinch!
Since my jogging jackets were in the washer, I had taken out the inhaler and put it........ Yeah, no idea. BUT, I was able to get through without! This was huge for me! A HUGE SUCCESS! I remember learning in college Psych that asthma can be cured through hypnosis and positive thinking and visualizing. Throughout my runs I visualized the air filling the entirety of my lungs, and I made it through. When I felt the metallic taste in my mouth -which I have learned is blood from bursting capillaries from labored breathing- I ignored it, knowing it wouldn't kill me. It didn't.
Do you remember the pile of rocks? Well, the next cul-de-sac, beyond the one with the pile of rocks, had a HUGE pile of leaves on the sidewalk! I laughed as it was looking like a comic strip! I imagined cul-de-sac #3 would have a pile of manure, but I was fortunately wrong in my imagination.
With each run I made it through. I persevered, and I was pleasantly surprised. Do you want to know how I did it? How I made it through the long, long runs? I didn't think of fainting, throwing up, breaking bones, or dying. I made a goal for how long to run, in my mind, and wouldn't stop until I'd made that goal. Both of the long goals, I made to be kind of ridiculous. And I made them. Toward the end of each one, when I had enough, I would think (and maybe say out loud? I hope not, but who knows once the earphones are on!) "Uncle! Uncle! Mercy!"
Very literally, at the moment I felt I was at my end, that I could not take any more, "Walk Now" came through the speakers, and I realized I had completed the runs. To say I was proud of myself would be an understatement. I ran the entire length of a very long street! I genuinely didn't think I could do it, and I did! I hope it's okay to be proud of yourself. I am changing my body, and I love it. I love seeing results of my efforts, even if they're not on the scale. What joy I have that I have I not given up!
Yes! Running is as much mental as it is physical. Keep the positive thoughts, and "you can do it!"
ReplyDeleteThanks Weston! Maybe one of these days I'll be able to run like you do "without breaking a sweat". :)
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you. That is so awesome.
ReplyDelete