I have a secret. I have a virtual workout buddy. Well, she's a real person, but she lives 550 miles away. I have known KNBO'R for almost 11 years. When we were new friends, we fell into the catergory of "thin, but think we're fat". Sickening. I remember how we would be walking around together and turn heads. Those were the days... In the course of these 11 years, we have collectively become, well, bigger. Less head-turning. We've tried working out together, virtually. Our first attempt, we would report our workouts to each other, which digressed to "Well, when I saw a cute pair of shoes, I ran up to them and jumped up and down. Does that count?" Jokingly of course. We know what a workout is supposed to look like. But we rarely got past the first week. If that far.
For one reason or another, we made excuses, and stopped. Always.
This time is different. I think this is why: Both of us had individually decided to do Couch to 5K. Both of us have absolutely had it with our level of unfitness. And both of us miraculously decided to make it happen, beginning the same date. No guilt trips, no reports, except the blog, just support.
We both have our obstacles. She is a single mom of one, spirited seven year old. I am a married mom of three. Both of us are outnumbered. Both of us have varying support depending on the day. She works outside the home. I work at home part time, and have a baby. So we support each other as much as we can.
It's been really helpful! Especially today when I was recognizing that I'm retaining fluid and bloated. She texted me: "your body stores more glycogen after an intense workout in anticipation of you expending more energy. It's most common at the beginning fo an exercise routine. It should ease off after a couple of weeks." She helped me fight my frustration by googling what was up, while I was not in a happy google-able state.
And today, before I worked out, and was absolutely dragging my feet, she texted notes of encouragement, and of course, there are her blogs about her exercise. I am happy to be doing this with her. It's totally working! I highly recommend a virtual, real exercise partner!
As far as my workout today, it was the 100 Workout. I decided today that my poor arms, although they've lost more inches than anywhere else on my body, were not getting stronger. I added 10 FULL pushups to the 100, before the jog. It was mean. MEAN. I would say I'm never doing that again, except that I must need it!
I am moving mountains, and it feels like it. I hope to see results soon, because this is hard.
You can do it!!! I will be your cheerleader! Yeah, Yeah, Siskumba! Kick 'em in the shin and kick 'em in the jaw. :) How's that for a cheer to get you on your way? :)
ReplyDelete